Old October 7th 04, 01:46 AM
Foo

"Alex Cheung" wrote in message
46...
Hello all:

I have a Compaq Presario R3060CA laptop I bought May/June 2004. It comes
with a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB hard disk. I also bought a similar 2.5"
hard disk, a Hitachi Travelstar 40GB, for use in an external casing
(USB2.0). Now the HT 60GB has failed on me after weeks of occasional
clicking sounds, while the HT 40GB never had that problem in the external
casing. With the HT 60GB dead, I had to swap the HT 40GB inside the
laptop, which is now displaying the same clicking symptoms of the HT
60GB. I'm starting to wonder if this problem could be at all related to
the laptop itself and not the hard disks. Is it possible that the IDE
could cause the hard disk to fail prematurely? Or could it be that the
inverted orientation of the hard disk (it is effectively upside-down
inside the laptop) causes excessive wear and premature failure?

Please help! Note: Clicking especially more frequent when playing 3D
games. Could this be related to reading problems (like page file or
something)?

Thanks in Advance!

Alex Cheung

Why don't you contact Compaq for repair?

Don't think drive position has anything to do with it - upside down, or any
position should be OK. Mine too had a clicking sound then went dead shortly.
Don't know why both drives going bad - perhaps bad controller, bad
motherboard or too much heat?

Common problems I've seen with the Presairo line:
dead hard disk drive
dead battery
dead battery charging circuit board
bad motherboards - anywhere from cold solder joints and up
dead computer, green light on but no boot