Old November 21st 14, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Default fans start-stop-start when booting

SC Tom wrote:

wrote in message
I have noticed with many PCs, when booting, the CPU fan goes on for a
few
seconds, stops, then starts again. On some the first start is at full
screaming RPM.
Why is this so?
Some people even think something is wrong with the PC when it behaves
thus.

Mine did that and I was initially concerned something was wrong. I just
closed the cover and accepted it as normal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. My Acer laptop has done
that from day one, and my homebuilt desktop does it quite often. I
think it's just the initial start-up of the CPU that triggers it, but
why it does it sometimes and not all the time, I can't say. I have
noticed that it seems to be more prevalent with the ~2GHz+ CPU's than
it was with the older, slower ones.
Just an observation, not an explanation :-)