Old April 5th 09, 06:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default Incredible shrinking cartridges

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 06:45:17 +0000, Bob Headrick wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
:

My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

This speaks very poorly for HP. It looks like a rip-off.

Does anyone known of an HP or Canon AIO that has better ink cartridges than
this??

The ml capacity of the cartridges is only part of the story, as recent
printers have better pages per ml due to better print model and darker
inks. The Deskjet 6980 printer uses cartridges that give comparable
prints per cartridge as the Deskjet 970. In general you can find page
yield information for recent HP models at http://www.hp.com/go/pageyield

And all of this corporate jargon is coming from a retired HP Employee that
really knows how to sing the party line.

For all-in-one units the HP Officejet Pro series have generally higher
page yields than the lower end consumer models. See the Officejet Pro
L7500/L7600/L7700/L7800 series printers for examples. The standard
cartridges have comparable yields to the #45 cartridge from your 970,
while the XL versions of the cartridges have ~ 3X the yield (2450 pages
from the black cartridge, 1700 pages composite from the individual color
cartridges).

As an added benefit of the times the Officejet Pro series printers may
well cost significantly less than you paid for your Deskjet 970 a half
decade ago.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging