Old April 5th 09, 12:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

Default Incredible shrinking cartridges

On Apr 4, 10:16*am, "Walter R." wrote:
My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

Keep in mind that you need to look at the page yield above raw
volume. HP has actually gotten MUCH better about getting more yield
per volume than Canon.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/...300/index.html

HP 98 Black Inkjet Print Cartridge 420 standard pages $23.99 5.7c/
page

5.7c/page is on the high side of things.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/...400/index.html

HP 564XL Black Ink Cartridge 800 standard pages
$22.99 2.8c/page

As Bob Headrick suggests the OfficeJet Pro series are actually more
geared for high volume users, as in larger volume & yield cartridges
at a lower price per page. I describe them as double the price but
triple the yield.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/.../28-564XL.html

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...sku=CC335A#ABA

It looks like you can get the HP Officejet 6310 for $80 from
amazon.com.
The HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer CC335a is $255 from
the same source.
Difference of $175

For black it looks like it costs about $72.50 extra per 250 pages over
the CC335a. You'd make back the difference after about 6000 pages on
this model.

The Officejet pro L7500 costs $200 from amazon.com. The #88 black is
$35 with an estimated page yield of 2450 or 1.4c/page. Price
difference of $120 over the 6310 but you'd save $107.50 per 2500 pages
and would break even at about 3000 pages or so.

I'm not making a recommendation here, only pointing out the raw
prices. As a good rule of thumb if you find a unit for a very low
price the cost to operate could be high.

70

5.7c
2.8c