Old September 11th 03, 02:52 AM
idunno

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:36:39 +0400, "Maxim S. Shatskih"
wrote:

I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer.

PS/2 is not designed for hot plug - for frequent plug/unplug.
USB is designed for this.

I said nothing about hot-plugging PS2. Plugging/unplugging something
"frequently" does not necessarily imply "hot" plugging. Surely you
understand the difference between the concerns and needs (esp. those
re durability) of a commuter who needs to connect and disconnect a
laptop to peripherals multiple times a day at work and when returning
home as opposed to someone who leaves their keyboard, mouse, and web
cam plugged into their computer for weeks or months at a time but has
the 'option' of hot plug/unplugging them.

Given the atrocious details on driver writing for hardware attached

to PS/2
port - USB is surely better. A mainstream technology, designed by

loud names
like MS and Intel - vs. the keyboard-and-mouse-only port of 15 years

old, not
designed for hot plug with terrifying perversions in driver

development for
devices other then keyboard and mouse... well, I will choose the loud

name
unless the real facts telling that the loud name is worse.

For now, I have no facts on USB unreliability (lame XP drivers for

480Mbps
devices aside, fixed in SP1 IIRC).

You are speaking to yourself here. The 'beauty' of PS2 design is not
at issue. Several of us have mentioned connections between laptops &
Peripherals that precede USB or exist in addition to USB. Of course
USB is designed and expected to do more than PS2 and came about long
after PS2 and that is reflected in multiple aspects of USB design - so
this is really an "apples & oranges" comparison. Having "no facts on
USB reliability" does not address Jeff Sutter's concerns & experiences
with these devices. Nor does it help in the design of a small,
inexpensive NAS appliance.

Some of us disagree with your comment "Without USB, you have nearly no
ways of attaching hardware to laptop." That is all. Inventing a
debate about PS2 won't retract your comment.

is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop)

You definitely must drink too much to insert the USB connector in a

wrong way.
:-)

Very amusing. I assume you can see things that aren't in your field
of view?