Old September 10th 03, 11:36 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

I think I was unclear. I just mean that the connector's tend to be
beefier. It usually isn't possible for a user to jiggle it when
inserting or removing. These connectors *should* last longer.

PS/2 is not designed for hot plug - for frequent plug/unplug.
USB is designed for this.

Given the atrocious details on driver writing for hardware attached to PS/2
port - USB is surely better. A mainstream technology, designed by loud names
like MS and Intel - vs. the keyboard-and-mouse-only port of 15 years old, not
designed for hot plug with terrifying perversions in driver development for
devices other then keyboard and mouse... well, I will choose the loud name
unless the real facts telling that the loud name is worse.

For now, I have no facts on USB unreliability (lame XP drivers for 480Mbps
devices aside, fixed in SP1 IIRC).

is also no possibility of trying to insert it the wrong way (like a
USB port on the rear of a laptop)

You definitely must drink too much to insert the USB connector in a wrong way.
:-)

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation