Old February 12th 20, 08:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_40_]

Default 128 bit addressing for harddisk/block addressing.

Paul wrote:
wrote:
(Prepare yourself, I don't know how yet except demanding this =D)

Title: 128 bit addressing for harddisk/block addressing.

I will share with you what I have learned so far from excursion into
the ms-dos age and "retro-gaming" and such:

Addressing limitations are super annoying in all kinds of ways:

1. 2GB Harddisk/partition size limitations.
2. 16 bit memory Memory limitations.
3. 64 MB ram limitations (though have not yet run into this for real)

The most annoying one was limitation in VMWare Workstation 8 not
supporting usb mass storage devices large than 2 Terrabytes.

My conclusion for now is we must not repeat the mistakes of the past
and prepare for the future.

40 Years from now harddisks bigger than 16 exabytes might exist for
consumers

We can stop there.

There is a relationship between capacity and speed.

The people who use the drives, even at their current size (16TB),
find the speed of 250MB/sec is too slow.

Seagate plans to fix this, by giving some hard drives two arms,
doubling the I/O rate.

But such a scheme is not scalable.

I thought I would mention RAID (in the unlikely even that it might
possibly be informative to you).

Bill