Old August 21st 03, 11:00 PM

Jeff wrote:
I am replacing a 20Gb HDD - which just isn't big enough any more -
with a new larger one. The old drive is set up just the way I want
it, with music recording apps, drivers and settings, and I'm very
reluctant to have to start again with a new, empty drive.

So, I've installed the new drive as a slave and set up two partitions
on it. XP created them as F and G at the end of the list, after the
old drive (which is C) and two CD drives.

I've then used Drive Copy (from within Drive Image 7) to copy the old
drive to the first partition of the new drive. (I also chose to copy
mbr too, which was not a default option). The copy was reported as
successful.

I've then removed the old drive, set the new one as master, and its
being reported as primary master as the machine starts. In the bios
it is reported as the second boot device (by name), after the floppy.
When the machine starts, I get the Windows XP splash screen for a half
second, then a flash of a blue screen which I can't read, and the
machine restarts. Whichever option I choose, it goes around in
circles.

Any suggestions as to what I might need to do to get this thing to
boot up would be gratefully received. Thanks
Jeff

I think your problem has to do with a thing called "SIG." I believe
this stands for signature and it writes the characteristics of the
original drive to the new drive. If they are not the same, the computer
will do exactly what you describe. Do a search for SIG as related to
Windows XP and see if you don't come up with an answer. There might
even be something in the software you used to clear the SIG as well.

Ken