Old October 17th 13, 10:27 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default WD AV drives not for desktop use

On Friday, July 1, 2011 2:56:26 AM UTC+1, Ed Light wrote:
From Western Digital:

"The AV drives are designed to be used on Audio/Video equipment but
using it on a computer would not create any problems. We know that it is
save to use our AV drives with computers and no error would occur."
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

I have just ordered one of these AV-GP drives as I was able to find one fairly cheap and needed a smaller drive to run my operating system off. Initially, I was sucked in by the low temperature and quicker read speeds, however have been put of a little by threads such as these on the net. Could anyone confirm whether or not they have used one of these drives as a boot drive within a computer? If so, have you noticed any behavioural characteristics different to, say, any other HDD? If the drive is unsuitable, i'd rather not bother removing it from the packaging and sort out a return a.s.a.p.