Old March 30th 11, 08:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
David Brown[_2_]

Default Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test

On 30/03/2011 05:25, Rod Speed wrote:
mike wrote
Rod Speed wrote
alo wrote

I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides putting
it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats
with the drive in one of those unless its a relatively modern one
and you use a paid for SMART ute.

Hddscan.exe is among the free SMART readers.

Yes, but that doesnt mean it can get the SMART data from the drive in
a USB HD enclosure he already has.

Bytecc BT-300 is among the cheap usb to ide/sata readers that can
read smart.

You dont know whether he plans to buy a USB HD enclosure just to
check the drive before doing a warranty claim.

If the OP is thinking of buying an external enclosure, then I recommend
one that also has an eSATA connector. They don't (or shouldn't!) cost
much more, and if you have an eSATA connection on the host, it is faster
than USB and gives you access to all SATA features - SMART, NCQ, etc.