Old March 29th 11, 09:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test

alo wrote

Disk 1 did not pass SMART self-assessment test...

Fark, it actually failed it dismally.

"Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day.
Disk 1:
Previous count: 1504
Current count: 2507"

Fark. She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

This disk was in a Netgear readynas duo system.

Before I start the proccess of returning it as a
faulty item I want to make sure it is indeed faulty.

Yep, thats an utterly obscene level of reallocated sectors.

I have now taken it out of the nas box.... but besides
putting it into a PC how would I go about testing again.

Is it possible to test it in a USB HD enclosure?

Yep, but with quite a few of them, you cant get the SMART stats with the drive in
one of those unless its a relatively modern one and you use a paid for SMART ute.