Old November 28th 05, 05:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.linux

Default LCD Monitors, Should I buy one?

I have been thinking of buying one LCD. I have a very nice monitor, and
I love tube monitors. LCD monitors have turned me off because nearly
all LCD makers don't want to sell backlight for the LCD, and present
LCD won't work with HD-DVD due to "systemwide content protection scheme
called PVP-OPM" (see the link below & small summary). Furthermore,
companies have it diffcult for anyone to replace LCD backlight.

Do you guys know any LCD monitors that is user friendly, by that I mean
replacing brunt LCD CCFL backlight, and Inverter Board is easy &
simple.

Finally, should I wait until HD DVD friendly monitors are here?

See the link: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122738,00.asp

*****************************
Most Monitors Won't Play New HD Video

Vista's content protection will block or blur high-def movies on
today's displays.

Scott Spanbauer
From the November 2005 issue of PC World magazine

If you dropped a bundle on a high-end computer display or HDTV, you
could be in for an unpleasant surprise when you slip your new
high-definition DVD of Star Wars: Episode III into your Windows Vista
PC. Vista, the next version of Windows that's slated to appear in about
a year, will feature a new systemwide content protection scheme called
PVP-OPM (see box below). If your monitor doesn't work with PVP-OPM, all
you'll likely see is either a fuzzy rendition of your high-def flick or
Hollywood's version of the Blue Screen of Death--a message warning you
that the display has been 'revoked'.

Finally, as a Linux user what does this means to me? If you are a Linux
user will you buy HDTV friendly monitors even if Viewsonic, Sony and
other LCD maker won't sell backlight for their LCD Monitors.

PS: I'm posting my questions in two groups (Linux & Hardware), since my
qestions are related to these groups.

Respectfully
Thanks in advance