Old April 24th 16, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.sys.laptops
Paul

Default ASUS N550JX - how to turn OFF keyboard backlight

Adam wrote:
"Computer Nerd Kev" wrote in message
In comp.sys.laptops Adam wrote:
Thanks (Guru Paul), but Fn+F3 acts more like a dimmer and
is not permanent. I tried that before looking through the BIOS for
a way to disable keyboard backlight permanently.
For aluminum exterior, keyboard backlight is awful.

Keyboard backlight settings can sometimes be changed when running
Linux from the system settings (I was going to say in the /proc/acpi
directory, but things seem to have moved on).

Here's a forum thread where an ASUS laptop user wants to disable
the keyboard backlight in Ubuntu:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/74585...p-ubuntu-15-10

Here's some detailed information for Arch Linux about changing
keyboard light brightness on another ASUS laptop:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...oard_backlight

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#

Thanks, yes, in linux, there's practically nothing you cannot configure.
I was hoping for a simple "works for ANY OS" solution after learning
about...

/sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/As...olume.2C....29

In that article, is one keyword that stands out - "Powertop".

It's not that PowerTop has a control for the keyboard backlight.
It's that PowerTop is supposed to adjust machines for lowest
power consumption. If you had an OS release that seemed to
burn through a battery rapidly, PowerTop can advise as to
what is going on. My *theory* would be, a keyboard backlight
is a waste of electricity, and it may be detected as such
in the ACPI tables. And perhaps PowerTop can find a way
to turn it off or something - so PowerTop wouldn't
give you graded controls, it potentially might turn
it off.

It's also possible PowerTop cannot see this, unless
the boot option "acpi_osi=" thing was added.

Other than that, you'll need to get your hands dirty, to
get it to work (i.e. next time there is an OS upgrade,
you might have to re-implement whatever fix you end up
using).

Paul