Old July 9th 04, 05:56 PM
Mike Tomlinson

In article , w_tom
writes

Wall receptacle is safety ground; not earth ground

Please explain the difference. I could do with the laugh.

- as
explained in another post in this thread.

I see no explanation elsewhere.

However let's
assume the plug-in protector does earth a destructive
transient via wall receptacle.

Which it does in the UK and Europe.

Now that transient is on a
wire bundled with other wires.

So? The transient is shunted to earth via a low impedance path.

Induced transient is now
created by that plug-in protector.

Induced on what? The earth wire? That's what it is there for!

By earthing on safety
ground wire, we have now induced transients on all other
adjacent wires.

Absolute crap. There are three wires - phase, neutral and earth. A
transient on the phase wire is shunted to earth by the surge protector.
What do you mean by "all other adjacent wires"? If you mean low voltage
cabling, for example twisted-pair Ethernet cabling, any electrical
installer worth his salt (i.e. not you) knows that you /do not/ run low
voltage cabling in the same conduit as mains power. It's called
segregation.

What kind of protection is that?
Ineffective.

Very effective.

One well-known maker of surge protectors in UK and Europe, Belkin, gives
a free £10,000 warranty on equipment connected via any of its products.
If the surge protector fails and the equipment is damaged, you can claim
the cost of a replacement. If their products were that ineffective, do
you think they'd offer the warranty?

Same problem applies to the service entrance and single
point earth ground. All earthing wires must be installed from
each utility wire to earth ground separated from all other
wires.

In your American Mickey Mouse electrical installations, yes. In the UK
and Europe, it's unnecessary.

Too many installers want to be neat. They make clean
sharp bends and nylon ty-wrap all wires together. IOW they
compromise the protection 'system'. Even sharp wire bends
increase wire impedance. Earthing wires must be shorter (less
than 3 meters)

Why less than 3 metres? This is another of the claims you frequently
make without a shred of evidence to back it up. And remember, we are
discussing this in relation to UK and European wiring practice. I
sincerely doubt you have ever worked on an electrical installation
outside the US (thank god for that too.)

Just more reasons why plug-in protectors are so
ineffective.

What reasons? Where? I see only more hand-waving from you.

I've come to the conclusion that you must work for a maker of these
"whole house" surge protectors that you constantly advocate. Your
opinion is therefore biased, not objective, and worth **** all.

HTH. HAND. FOAD.

--
A. Top posters.