Old February 26th 04, 03:41 AM
Tom Scales

OK, I agree it is bad that they are not online (Dell's always are), but
where do you see a class action suit? It's not like there is some obscure
law that they have to give you a driver CD.

You see, they were all in nice directories on the hard drive that you, cough
cough, neglected to back up before you blew them away.

Our society is sue-happy.

Tom
"Fool" wrote in message
om...
I recently purchased a brand new Compaq Presario S6500NX. The
operating system loaded on the box is Windows XP Home Edition. It is
also loaded with lot's of trial ware. It is also loaded with lot's of
adware and spyware, including the evil backweb. I formatted the hard
drive and reinstalled my own copy of Windows XP Professional. Needless
to say my old copy of XP didn't have any drivers for the onboard video
of my new computer. I went to the HP web site to look for the video
driver. They had the soundcard driver, but no video driver. I opened a
trouble ticket from the web site. The following is HP's response:

"I see that you would like to have Windows XP professional driver for
the system video."

"As the drivers are not available online, you can try ordering
Presario Software Enhancement CD for the system."

More information was given regarding how to "order" this CD. The
information was useless as I was NOT able to order a Presario Software
Enhancement CD by calling the number they gave me. My reply to the
email message was sent days ago and no response has been given.

I can't believe in this day and age a national company would not make
all hardware drivers for the most popular Windows operating systems
available for free download over the internet from their support web
site. It is even harder to believe hey would hold the drivers for
ransom. I don't remember this kind of cheap extortion racket being run
by Compaq before they were aquired by Hewlett Packard. I say, "Shame
on you Carly Fiorina for allowing your company to get away with
providing such poor customer service". I hope that anyone that was
thinking about purchasing a Compaq or Hewlett Packard computer will
think twice about it. If there are any lawyers our there interested in
sponsoring a class action suit, I'll bet there are plenty of
plaintiffs available.

Justin Other Fool