Old February 23rd 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bruce Varney

Default Dimension 8400 Processor

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...

On 2/21/2011 2:37 PM, Bruce Varney wrote:
I have a Dimension 8400 fitted with a Pent 4 3.20 GHz processor SL7J7.
I wish to change the processor for something a little faster, can I
substitute a SL96H 3.60 GHz processor. The Motherboard already has 4Gb
of PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) memory fitted. I finding that the PC is a little
slow when running Photoshop CS3 especially when going through the
procedure to set up printing. It is running on Windows 7 Ultimate.
Otherwise the machine runs fine.

Bruce.

i have not attempted what you are considering but i suspect that it will
fail. below is a link to a side by side comparison of the two
processors on intel's site. though they are from the same 'family', use
the processor socket, and are pretty close in terms of wattage and
voltage requirements, there is one big difference. the sl96h is a
speedstep processor. when speedstep processors are installed in
motherboards that do not support speedstep they will work at their
lowest speed ratting. you can think of it as having an internal
multiplier that defaults to a low multiple of the buss speed and only
when instructed by the system to speed up does it operate at it full
potential speed rating. as far as i know the dimension 8200 does not
support speedstep. it has an 850 chipset and the earliest chipset that
could support speedstep was the 910. would like to hear your findings
if you give this a try. use cpu-z to identify the processor and the
internal speed that it is operating...
http://www.cpuid.com/

link to intel for side by side comparison of the two processors...
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27485,27468,

example: i recently tried replacing the celeron m 2.4ghz in an inspiron
1000 with a pentium m 2.4ghz and it ran at 1.2ghz because it was a
speedstep processor and the system did not support speedstep. the
processor speed would not increase when under load.

Christopher, thank you for your reply but I think you have the motherboards
mixed up, its a 8400 not 8200. The 8400 has a 925X chipset which does
support speedstep processors.

What I wanted to know was if anyone had tried this processor on a 8400
m'board and if so what if any advantage did it give, if any.

Bruce.