Old September 17th 11, 03:24 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Tony Marsili

Default Intel i7 3930K - question about clocking

On Sep 13, 5:18*pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Netman wrote:
Uzytkownik "Jim" napisal w wiadomosci
m...
Oops read that wrong limited overclock is going be probably the max turbo
multi (39?) plus whatever BCLK increase the platform allows.

Is it true that the processor overclocking is
not good for liveness of the processor?
Is it true that such overclocked processor
uses up quciker? I mean physics look of
such overclocking. Higher temperature
is not a good thing for such processor,
isn`t it?

Thank you for help
Netm

Every 6 degrees Celcius raise, halves the life of a silicon device.
So, yes overclocking is a bad idea, unless you have an oversupply
of money.

Where do you come up with such an arbitrary number? I can do it too.
So every 6 degrees raise I half the life of silicon device? The
normal life of a silicon device is what, 800 million years (see that's
my arbitrary number there).

The facts are that I've had my overclocked p4 system running for
almost every day 24 hours a day for 12 years. The pace of technology
far overreaches the slight hit on processor life with overclocking.