Old January 30th 18, 10:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:55:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I stumbled on this topic while searching something else, but am posting because I have a Precision M6500 that did this a lot. I applied the fix found in the "verified answer" he http://en.community.dell.com/support...519/t/19323478

The common problem is due to the video card getting a false overheating signal. My screen was blanking a few times a week, but it hasn't happened once in the year and a few months since applying the fix.

Had same problem. Installed MSI Afterburner graphics card overclocking utility version 4.4.2 and reduced the clock speeds by 20%. Problem solved. Outlined below are the specifics.

Dell Precision M6500

Graphics Card: nvidia quadro fx 3800m

Graphics Card Overclocking Utility: MSI Afterburner 4.4.2

Clock setting reduced 20% to alleviate black screen issue.

Settings: Core Clock: Default: 675
Profile 1: 541: - 20%

Mem Clock: Default: 1000
Profile 1: 802 - 20%

I may increase the clock speeds by only reducing them by 10% - 15% if the system remains stable. That's the recommendation I came across on another forum. I used this utility in the past and it definitely resolved the problem but recently had to re-install it because I needed a Windows re-install and the problem started to re-occur. I expect that this solution will once again resolve the problem.