Old February 2nd 10, 07:17 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live
Steve Swift

Default X-Fi Surround 5.1

Is this an OK place to ask questions about the X-Fi Surround 5.1 (USB)
soundcard? Until I know better, I'll press on here.

I've recently upgraded to driver release 1.1.99 and now I get small
"chirps" in my sound whenever I interrupt what is playing. For example,
if I'm playing one track (Windows Media Player 11), and partway through
I switch to a different track, or just pause, or change the playback
position, then I frequently (but not always) get one of these "chirps"

At first I thought that it was something in WMP11 (on my new PC) causing
a "confirmation beep" whenever I used the controls. But then one of the
chirps came from one speaker only, so it was clearly not an intentional
sound. I suspect it's some remnant of the sound that was playing at the
precise moment that I interrupted it. I get the chirps even when a
system sound occurs during music playing, at the end of the system sound.

I contacted Creative, but their idea of a solution was to install the
old drivers from the CD that came in the box. The problem with this is
that those drivers, and all the way to 1.1.98, had a problem that was
exhausting system resources. So I was having to reboot every day,
sometimes twice a day.

So, given a choice, I'd stay on drivers 1.1.99 and put up with the
chirps. Bit I'm curious if there's anyone else out there with an X-Fi
Surround 5.1, and drivers 1.1.99 who has noticed this problem. It may be
dependant on Windows Media Player 11, of course. But I never had the
chirps on my old PC, with WMP11, and with the old driver. Just the
wretched reboots.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html