Old October 3rd 07, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
CBFalconer

Default Questions about DDR RAM

Igor wrote:

I'm planning to add some memory to a PC. The motherboard supports
"DDR up to 333 MHz (enhanced) memory bus."

333 MHz (PC2700) or slower DDR SDRAM isn't easy to find on today's
market, and when you do find it, it's considerably more expensive
than the DDR which runs at 400 MHz (PC3200). What would happen if
I bought 400 MHz DDR RAM and installed it in a motherboard which
only supports speeds up to 333 MHz (PC2700)? Would it work? If it
did work, would it work as well as the slower PC2700 RAM?

I've gotten conflicting answers to this question. Two computer
stores told me that it wouldn't work. Another store and a book I
consulted said it would.

The faster stuff is just fine. The stores want to unload their old
stock, or are completely lacking in knowledge. Take your pick.
But, if the MB can handle it, ensure you get ECC capable memory.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net