Old September 22nd 04, 07:28 AM
Michael Brown

Scott Travak wrote:
Hi, I originally posted this message in the Abit newsgroup, but i
think it is more fitting if i post it here.

I want to get a NF7-S with a XP-mobil 2500+ . The only thing left is
get ram. I went to the corsair site and came across their ram
recommendations for the NF7-S:

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/...px?modelid=201

For the NF7-S they say:

------------
Most Popular:
VS1GBKIT400 / DDR-400 (PC-3200) / 2.5-4-4-8

Best Overclocking:
TWINX1024-3700 / DDR-466 (XMS-3700) / 3-4-4-8

Lowest Latency:
TWINX1024-3200XL / DDR-400 (PC-3200) / 2-2-2-5
------------

So it seems that lowest latency ram does not equate to best
overclocking ram?

Pretty much, yes. If you want low latencies, you have to sacrifice the clock
rate, or conversely if you want high clock rates, you have to give a bit on
the latencies. Much like the K7/8 vs P4 sort of thing. When you have a
locked multiplier, then the limiting factor often becomes how fast (in terms
of clock speed) your RAM can go. So in this sense, high clockspeed (as
opposed to low latency) RAM is best for overclocking. Whether it delivers
the best system PERFORMANCE is a completely different issue, and one that
can only be answered if you state exactly what you define system performance
as being. In your case, since you're using a mobile you have an unlocked
multiplier. So the RAM clockspeed will not limit the overclock of your CPU.
Then it comes down to the whole issue of latency vs speed, which again is
heavily reliant on your definition of performance.

I do want to get a stick of 1 x 512MB. But am leaning towards 2 x
512MB.

The NF7-S gets a (small) boost in speed when running in dual-channel mode
(ie: two sticks). So 2x256 will perform (slightly) better than 1x512, and
2x512 will be slightly better again (in the sense of 1gb is slightly better
than 512mb in most cases).

[...]

--
Michael Brown