Old January 5th 04, 05:55 PM
ICee

ICee wrote:
K. W. wrote:
baskitcaise wrote in message
K. W. wrote:
Thanks for your input. I did tried two jumper configurations: A.
Cable Select, B. Single. The result is the same. The system can see
the HDD, yet confined to 32G. As Western Digital installation guide
suggested, I tried to set CHS (Access Mode) to 1023, 16 heads, and
63 sectors. But as soon as the system bootup, it just falls back to
the following:

Capacity 33821
Cylinder 65530
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 65529
Sector 63

It doesn't matter whether I set the Access Mode to "Auto" or
"CHS", or IDE Primary Master "Auto" or "Manual". These number seems
"Locked". Again, is this the BIOS problem? I still don't understand
why the BIOS ROM size is so small. But the BIOS version seems quite
recent.

I saw many positive comments on the Shuttle AN35N Ultra
motherboard. But this problem gives me headache. Also, isn't that
the motherboard is supposed to unlock the multiplier?

K.W.

Have you tried the diagnostic tools from WD, this might help in
pointing out where the problem lies.

Not familiar with WD but some manufacturers have a jumper on the
drive that will restrict access to the first 32gig for compat with
older bios`s, does the WD?

Yes, I tried diagnostic tools. All tests show the HD is ok. But
the Diagnostic tool shows it as 33G, though. But the WD Lifeguard
Tool shows it as 160G.) I've gone through the WD suggestions with no
avail.

As for the BIOS, it is released 6/10/2003. And as you can see, this
system uses fairly new hardware recently purchased.

Is there any Shuttle AN35N Ultra users out there who can confirm
they are putting the right ROM chip (the info provided previously)
for my board? I want to know whether this is a WD hard disk problem
or the BIOS or a bad motherboard.

Thanks,

K.W.

The BIOS is fine. They call it 2 Mega*bit*, which is 256 Kilo*byte*.
In the BIOS, you should have anything to do with IDE drives set to
AUTO. Is the drive formatted and is it formatted in FAT or NTFS? FAT
has a limit of 32 MB. NTFS has a limit of around 4 Terabytes.

Doh! Sorry, that should be 32 GB for FAT formatting.