Old January 5th 04, 05:56 AM
Kristi

On 4 Jan 2004 18:52:13 -0800, K. W. wrote:

Hi,

I am having some troulbes getting the AN35N Ultra I bought to
recognize my WD 160G/8M HDD.

What I have done:
-First, I used the WDC Data LifeGuard Tools to partition the new
HDD; the tool can see the size as 160G. But when I start to install
either Win2k pro or WinXP pro, it only sees it as 31.49G! No matter
how I partition it, as one sector or as two or three smaller ones.
-Using WinMe bootdisk fdisk doesn't help, either. It also sees it
as 32254 MB.
-Installing Win2K/WinXP directly without WDC DLT doesn't help
either.
-I also installed XP SP1a; updated the atapi.sys to 5.1.2600.1135,
etc.

For each installation, I write all 0s to WD HDD just to make sure I
have a clean start.

Symptoms:
The bootup display shows:
Primary Master Disk: LBA,ATA 100, 33821 MB (it should be 160G)

Also I can't do ANY OC. The multiplier stays at 11.5. If I change
FSB, it will fall back to safe mode (Athlon 1150MHz).

The BIOS is AwardBIOS v6.00PG (AN35S00G -6/10/2003). It should be
recent enough to see at least 137G, right?

I did notice the BIOS ROM SIZE reported as 256K. But the manual
says it should be 2M. Why such a small size? Even my very old
Celeron400 reported 512K. The BIOS chip on the board reads:
PhoenixBIOS
D686 BIOS
Phoenix 1998
115106460

My system:
AMD 2600+ Barton
Enermax 350W PS
Kingston PC2100/256 x 2

Is the BIOS causing the problem, or is this a bad board? I am
really frustrated. This is my first DIY PC. I need your expertise,
please help.

Thanks,

K. W.

32gb is max for fat32. Is that your prob?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...c_fil_lxty.asp

hth
Kristi