Old December 17th 08, 12:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Unbelievable, 'sod's law' - power supply blows

On Dec 16, 8:17*pm, poachedeggs wrote:
I don't know dangerous this was, but a visitor just now says the pink
voltage switch on the psu isn't in the right position and then pointed
at my very long guitar nails. *Could I have knocked it with them while
replacing the cord, we wonder in mild horror. *

If a switch was in 220, then a 220 supply was only getting 120
volts. That would not harm the supply; would only cause a supply to
not power. 120 volts does not harm 220 volt electronics. However, if
the switch was changed when the supply was connected to AC mains, then
damage may result.

Switch is not easily changed by accident.

If smoke came out, a fuse will not correct the defect.