Old December 19th 16, 10:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 6:36:15 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Ben Myers wrote in
:

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 7:21:39 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
Boris wrote:

BINGO!!!

I have 6 bulging, and some starting to leak, capacitors. Here's
pictures of 5 of them:

https://postimg.org/gallery/2kvyq5leo/

Yes, I do remember reading about the capacitor scandal many years
ago.

And I remember being a little reluctant to purchase any desktop at
that

time, but I did. I bought the E510 in March 2006.

I hadn't thought about this issue until you brought it up. Even
when I

thoroughly cleaned out the interior of the machine, I didn't notice
the

bad caps. The closeups clearly show the bulging and leaking, but
because I wasn't looking for this issue, and I didn't look closely,
and

therefore I didn't 'see' it. My fault.

I also just resurected an E520 (bought June 2007) last week that
belonged to my dad. I had no problems with it, but I just went and
looked at all of the caps, and all is well.

Funny thing, I originally bought this E510 for my wife, but when
she went to a laptop, it got passed around the family.

I've spent lots of time the last week or so on desktops/laptops (I
thought it would be a day), and I've got to get back to other
things,

since the holidays are coming fast. I'm going to put repairing
this machine on the list of things to do, and will try to get to it
after th

new year. I've never done solder work on a motherboard, but I'm
will t

try. I've got nothing to lose.

Thanks much for the tip.

Even if you're good with a soldering iron,
you will still have trouble replacing those.
The holes for the capacitor legs are only
5 thou larger than the legs themselves.
And if you pull too hard on the capacitor
leads, you can pull the solder fillet right
out of the motherboard.

I worked on some at work, with a vacuum desoldering
station, and after two hours of work, I was still
not making any progress.

The ease of removing them, is a direct function
of how much bigger the holes are, than the legs
of the capacitor. If the holes are "sloppy", the
caps come out easily. I've worked on stuff like
that too.

Paul

My experience has been to scrap any motherboards with bad caps. Even
if I could replace them, there is no telling whether the caps failure
has not weakened some other part of the motherboard. Just not worth
it.

At this point, E510 systems are a dime a dozen, those that do not have
bad caps. If one is in love with the E510 or has important personal
data on a hard drive all set up for an E510, get another one.
Otherwise, move on to something more modern. The E510 dates from 2006
or 2007, and with its history of bad caps (not just this one), it's
better to avoid the model.

Agreed. Besides, of my top worst skills, soldering is #1. The only
thing I hate more is laying cement.

Good idea. Give the E510 some cement shoes, like the old gangs did.