Old January 10th 11, 10:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Windows 7 Memory Question

Ben Myers writes:

On 12/21/2010 1:24 AM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Ben wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

She currently has an old Dell with XP on it. Whenever it screws up I do a
complete factory restore and it seems to run
ok for a few days but then screws up again. I wonder if it has too little
ram. I will do a factory restore and a week later they can't use Explorer
to search the net. They have to use Chrome. Then the router which is
hooked up to the computer and xbox screws up - only one is able to be used
at a time. Either the computer can be plugged in and online or the xbox can
be plugged in and online. There are ports for both the computer and xbox,
it's a Linksys. But for some reason only one can be used.

The old Dell may also have an old and failing hard drive. This is one
possible explanation for a system going south regularly.

I had an early machine with one bad memory stick, and somehow
that led to HD corruption periodically until I diagnosed the
bad memory and removed it. This was in 1995, I don't know if
that could happen today.

Or gremlins entering from the outside world... Ben Myers

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)