Old December 24th 10, 11:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Windows 7 Memory Question (slightly OFF-TOPIC)

In ,
Ben Myers typed on Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:59:09 -0500:

[...]
eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad
power supplies and fried motherboards...

That is very interesting Ben. I had two HP desktops with Bestec power
supplies. And when they were four years old I stuck a new DLink wireless
card in one of them. Then all hell broke out. Even when I removed the
DLink card, the computer no longer worked by LAN or any wireless card. I
did get an error message from DLink software and wrote it down. And I
though something happened to the motherboard and what a strange
coincidence.

So I put that DLink card in the other HP. Dang, that one now has the
same problems and no LAN or any wireless would work with this computer
now either. Called DLink and asking them why their card ruined both
computers and I gave them that error code. They told me it wasn't their
card, but that error means a problem with the computer itself. So it
wasn't their problem.

Now thinking about this and you saying this about Bestec power supplies
are making me wonder if that has anything to do with this problem? They
work fine using dialup, but no LAN and WLAN ever works after that one
DLink card was plugged in. Although today they are terrible computers
and I am not interested in repairing them. But I am still curious what
really happened.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3