Old January 17th 06, 09:23 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default DLT 8000 Hardware compression

wrote:
Hi,

I'm using a Quantum 40/80 DLT tape drive with hardware compression
enabled. The software used to backup our systems is ArcServe v.11. The
tape drive was working fine before we moved it to a new server (old
server 2k, new server 2k3).

Ever since the drive was installed on the new server the hardware
compression ratio has dropped to 0.0 (from 1.6 previously) although
ArcServe reports that hardware compression is enabled. There are times
when the HW compression will work on the new server fine but for the
most part it doesn't.

Latest drivers have been installed. Manfacturer provided diags have
passed successfully. Has anyone come along a situation like this and if
so, was it resolved? and how?

The data you are backing up may be compressed.

Maybe the backup software is doing the compression for you.

Maybe the data flows too slowly too the drive and it effectively
disables compression to prevent 'shoeshining'?

Thomas