Old February 28th 04, 12:40 PM
HH

Apples v. Oranges on the processors. And for what lots of folks use their
PCs for (surfing the net), the Celeron would not be half as fast as the AMD
chip. I have a home-built AMD Athlon XP 2200+ box and it certainly isn't
twice as fast as my 2.4GHz Celeron machine in "real world" use. If you are a
heavy gamer, now that's a different story. The Athlon would certainly be far
superior. Plus the Athlon boxes usually have an AGP slot where a fast video
card can be installed. The Celerons are limited to onboard Intel video.
HH

"Euclid" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I bought a Compaq Presario S4020WM at Walmart last summer for $495,

complete
with a 17" monitor. It has an AMD XP 2400+ processor at 2.0GHz. I had to

put
in more RAM to make it work right, but it's a good machine.

They're currently selling the Compaq Presario S6020WM at Walmart for $495
with a monitor, but these have a Celeron 2.6GHz processor. I must advise
against purchase of this one. I have tested that processor, and it is only
half as fast as my AMD processor running at 2.0 GHz.

Don't be deceived by "GHz", which no longer tells the relative speed of
processors. That's a game Intel is playing with their current batch of
Celerons. They realize there's a sucker born every minute.
--
Euclid