Old February 19th 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dark!

Default Which is better ?

On Feb 17, 2:16 pm, Larc wrote:
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 13:34:37 GMT, newbee wrote:
Hil all,

Which is better and faster utilization of memory on Window XP 32Bit,
is it

One stick of 2 GB or

Two sticks of 1 GM or

Four sticks of 512 Mb

If you have only one memory stick and it goes, you're dead in the
water. Multi is always better, and I would prefer four 512MB matching
sticks with four slots and no plans for adding more memory (XP won't
use more than about 2.5GB anyway).

Also which is better, Single Sided or Double Sided ?

That probably doesn't matter much now, but given a choice I'd keep on
the simple side and pick singles. Of course, your motherboard may
dictate that for you.

Exactly, in fact it'd be better that you write down your mobo's model
and check the manual and specs for that, it'll save you a good
headache If it's a Dual-Channel you want to go for 2 sticks that
are EXACTLY EQUAL, not diff in any way

Does Window XP utilize all the 2GB memory. I am using old Abit mother
board with Athlon 1700, which I started with 512 Mb of memory and then
I added another stick of 512 Mb, I did not notice any difference. By
the way I use Adobe Premier and Photoshop.

XP as an OS alone won't use 2GB, but some installed programs probably

There's a little trick from Microsoft to make it use up to 4 Gigs, but
it'll use as much 4, I have tried many versions of XP with 6 GB but
they usually fail to start or simply won't see the other 2 gigs...

will. Graphics processing, particularly movies, can use a lot of
memory. I noticed a decided improvement in that area when I went from
1GB to 2GB.

I'm surprised you didn't see a difference between 512MB and 1GB, but

Indeed there's a great difference between 512 and 1 Gig O_o

systems are different. My experience is with Intel CPUs, so you can
take all this with whatever size grain of salt it's worth.

Works the same for both Intel and AMD After all that issue is both
BIOS and OS dependant

Larc