Old April 7th 04, 12:56 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Sean Berry" wrote in message
news:ypNcc.4561$Wo6.2749@fed1read03...
Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, but I figured someone could
help.

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

All the previous answers offer good advice, *if* you have a motherboard that
supports 133MHz FSB (some older Socket A motherboards don't) and your memory
is capable of running at 133MHz (266 DDR).
So, post back with motherboard make/model/chipset if the board is older, and
confirm that you are running PC2100 memory, minimum. You'll also want to
check your motherboard manual to see if it has a jumper for setting FSB.