Old September 29th 03, 08:34 AM
Mike Calkins

I wonder too, but there is not enough specific information provided to tell.

Mike

"HH" wrote in message
news
Mike, Something is amiss. The PCI slot is a standard Combo slot. The
preinstalled modem is an ISA modem. I wonder if he's trying to put a PCI
modem there?
HH

"Mike Calkins" wrote in message
. ..
Bill,

When all else fails.... Remove the modem bracket and let the board

'float'
in the slot. Don't jar the machine, and pray it'll work .....

Mike

"Bill W" wrote in message
Thanks for the information. My daughter's computer is running with

Windows
98. I had an extra modem lying around and tried installing it. To my
frustration, I found that the the modem card was offset differently on

the
backet and would sit in the PCI slot. But I will give the other

suggestions
a try and hope for the best before my daughter leaves for school this
evening.

Thanks,
Bill
"HH" wrote in message
What Operating System is installed? Tte 4504 came with a 33.6

Winmodem.
You
might be better off pulling it and installing a $10 Intel V90 modem.

I've
bought 4 of them from www.axiontech.com and they work great and come

with
driver CD.
HH

"Bill W" wrote in message
news My daughter was given a Compaq Presario 4504 for school. She

could
not
get
on the internet with AOL. In troubleshooting the problem, I found

that
no
modem was listed in device manager. An internal modem card is
installed.
When I go to install the modem and choose the Compaq, I am faced

with
choosing from a list of Compaq modems. Which Compaq modem should

be
chosing from the list presented and am I correct in assuming it

will
use
COM
1 port. I have spent the better part of this evening searching

the
Compaq
site for documentation on the Presario 4504 to no avail. I would
greatly
appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Regards,
Bill