Old March 9th 05, 10:40 PM
Echy

Chris Curtis wrote:
"Echy" wrote in message

Chris Curtis wrote:

Have been given a laptop to 'look' at by a relative who suspects his
daughter may have dropped it though there is no obvious outward sign of
damage.
Appears to boot OK but screen is blank. Adding an external monitor
confirms
that it seems to run OK.
However, I have also noticed if machine is tilted back slightly it cuts
out!
Oh and the battery doesn't appear to charge (though it might be dud!)

Is this beyond repair or going to be expensive?

Regards
Chris Curtis

Can you post the model number - on the base - and can you check if the
battery is a Compaq brand. May be able to help you if you can supply that
info. I also have user manuals/tech manuals for some Compaq models in PDF
format that may help.

--
Regards
Echy

Hi Echy

Its a Presario 2114EA and the battery is a hpf4089a/f4812a p/n 916-2160.
I've downloaded the Maintenance & Service Guide, Service Manual and
Reference manuals from the website but haven't dived into them yet apart
from checking battery indicator lights and charging times!

Regards
Chris

Hi again

Re the no picture problem. I had the exact problem on a Compaq Armada
7400.

Following the 7400 tech manual I partially unassembled the machine and
then reassembled it. That process restored the picture. I have since
achieved the same result on a Toshiba notebook. In these cases I suppose
it was a loose connection, yours may be more serious if it was dropped.
Anyway it certainly worked and worth a try IMO.

Hope that is of some help.
--
Regards
Echy