Old January 27th 04, 11:25 PM
Anthony Edwards

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:11:48 +0000, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:43:28 -0000, Anthony Edwards said:

considered a complaint to the ASA also, however their online
complaint form will accept a complaint a maximum of 1500 characters
in length, whereas (saving my LART including a copy of one of the
Unsolicited Commercial Emails in text format):

anthony@catfish:~ wc -m evesham.txt 6338 evesham.txt

(i.e. the complaint saved as a text file is 6338 characters in
length, of which approximately two thirds of that is the Unsolicited
Commercial Email itself)

I considered sending a complaint to the ASA by fax, however that
constitutes too much hoop jumping to be a desirable option. If the
ASA wish to receive complaints concerning unsolicited email
advertising, a substantial increase in the number of characters
permitted when using the online complaint form would be worthwhile.

mailto:enquiriesatasa.org.uk

True, however it clearly states at the "Contact Us" page of the ASA
site that complaints must be made in one of two formats (by letter,
or using the online complaints form that one later discovers has a
1500 character maximum limit) and that their email facility is for
contact "for any other reason".

I therefore conclude that transmission of a 6338 character emailed
complaint would be itself abusive, and I am of the opinion that
fighting abuse with abuse, however tempting that might at times seem
(and I realise I am being to an extent pedantic here, but I believe
it to be an important principle) is simply wrong, and in addition
almost always counter-productive.

--
Anthony Edwards