Old May 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Pat

"Gelu Laurent" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, Celeron D looks good. But, going from 2.4 to 3.6 is a big O/C.

Is there any goods with the Celeron D315 or the 325J ? The 315 for its
lower clock ratio, and the J CPU because it may make less heat that a
classical prescott.

About all I can tell you is that mine is 100% stable. Warm, but stable.

Needless to say, you don't need to go for an even 800 mhz FSB speed. 667 is
good too.

Maybe the 315 version would be better because if you do get it up to 3.6 Ghz
or so, you'd have a faster bus speed than mine. Which should equal better
performance. I should note that I've run mine as high as 3.7 Ghz at stock
voltage with 100% stability. But I didn't like seeing temps approaching 70
C.

check out this article.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...celeron-d.html Its from almost
a year ago, before the latest Celeron D core came out, but if I remember
correctly, they got one of the 2.8 processors up to 3.8 or something like
that. In this article, they compare it to the sempron
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...y/sempron.html

I have no experience with the J versions for Socket T, however, that does
include the Execute Bit Disable feature. Not sure if your particular flavor
of Linux supports that or not. If you go with the Socket T version, maybe
you'll get a newer core stepping and get even more speed.

Hope some of that helps. In my opinion, the lower speed Celeron D's are the
best bang for the buck processors out there right now. At least if you plan
to overclock.

And finally, I've got some Artic Silver on its way to my house. So sometime
in the next few days I hope to replace the stock thermal grease with the
Artic Silver. I'll try to remember to post the results of that experiment
back here for you.