Old September 3rd 04, 03:50 AM
Joe Meadors

"Quaoar" wrote in message

"Joe Meadors" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm running a Compaq Presario 5868 with WindowsXP Home Edition and SP2
installed.

I also use a dial-up connection.

Whenever I hang up and try to connect again I get an error message
telling
me the modem is off the hook. Error 676. When I reboot everything is
fine
until I hang up again and get the same error message.

Didn't have the problem before SP2.

Any suggestions?

Warmest regards,

Joe

Check Device Manager. There is a possibility that SP2 failed to install
the correct driver. It's done this in several reported cases.

Well, I know you're all waiting with baited breath.

What I did is go to the Control Panel, delete the modem (not just the
driver) and reboot the system.

Upon rebooting, the system found the modem and installed it properly.

Everything's working just fine now.

Now I just have to figure out what SP2 has other than the virus protection
and firewall.

Thanks for all the replies.

Warmest regards,

Joe