Old September 4th 03, 07:02 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

little
on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

thought
of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
necessaries:

Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
bloating things up

Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

modem
service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
overly vunerable or overly restricted.

Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

does.

Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

find
the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California)

for
this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thanks very much.

In addition to the items you mention I would consider a simple wired router,
even if you will only have the one computer. I frequently see models like
the Linksys BEFSR11 (
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=142 ) for
less than $50.00. It provides an excellent additional layer of protection.

I run my 4 PC LAN with a cable connection through a router and have not seen
an incoming hit on any of the computers firewalls ever (3+years). Simply put
from behind a router your computer(s) appear not to exist from the outside.

In my opinion (others will disagree) in addition to the router it is prudent
to continue to run a software firewall as well. While the router provides
good incoming protection a software firewall will alert you to and protect
you from "phone home" type malware (trojans, spyware, adware etc..) that
might conceivably find their way into your system despite other measures.

I use Norton Personal Firewall on two of my computers and Zonealarm's free
version on the others. I find them both adequate.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.