Old February 17th 09, 10:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Peter Olcott

Default ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

I don't think that this is the issue, at least the symptoms
are not consistent with this being the issue. On some things
ClearType font smoothing is working perfectly, on other
things black text is appearing with red edges. I know how
ClearType works, (sub pixel rendering) but, in the past
black text always appeared to the naked eye as being purely
black.

Using an inferior connection cable would seem to produce a
signal strength problem, and the actual case appears to be a
(sub pixel rendering) pixel alignment problem. Issues such
as this would seem to be related to the unconventional
aspect ratio. If (for example) the display data is
graphically stretched (after it was rendered) to accommodate
the wider screen, this would be expected to cause the
precise problem that I am having.

I have another ViewSonic monitor that has no problem at all
using the out-of-the-box cable.

"kony" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:45:59 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

If you are using the original analog cable that came with
that monitor, it is thin, low quality and must be replaced
for optimal results even at the native 1680x1050
resolution.

At that resolution, a higher than average analog cable, or
DVI cable, needs be used to retain maximum crispness. If
you happen to be using an OS with a font-smoothing
feature,
that will also increase blur on text.