Old February 16th 09, 09:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
kony

Default ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:45:59 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x 1050
widescreen aspect ratio?

I seem to have overlooked your topic title previously.

You wrote "ClearType font smoothing is not working
correctly", then you described the text being more blurry.

The purpose of ClearType is to make text blurry! If you
don't want blurry text, disable ClearType. Some claim it
makes text more readable, and that can be true because what
it does is takes a small thin line and makes it wider and
more smooth through that blurring.

ClearType can be adjusted if you want less of an effect but
don't want it completely disabled.

Online Tuner -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/step1.aspx

Offline Tuner -
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ePowerToy.mspx

I vaguely recall seeing a different offline tuner somewhere,
but either of these is a good start.