Old September 5th 03, 07:53 PM
Paul Galjan

Zip drive? There's an active thread about how bad tape is based on
someone's experience with travan. You can extend those experiences to zip
drives for backup. Zip drives are slow, and the media is expensive. I'd go
with DVD sooner than Zip...

How much data are you looking to back up? How much are you looking to
spend? A VS160 can be had for less than $2k, and a VS80 can be had for less
than $1500. Decent density, a bit slow, but dependable. If the performance
and density of your DLT7k drive was adequate, look at the VS80.

For higher density and much better performance, look at LTO. An LTO2 drive
can be had for $6k. SDLT320 runs about $4k.

--paul

"luke" wrote in message
om...
Hello All,

I am looking to get a new back up solution for my file server. I have
a compaq 35/70gb dlt drive that has just packed up.

I already own a copy of Veritas Back up exec for nt 8.6. My regular
back up consists of windows adv server system state, exchange 2000 and
all files.

I have heard that there are now zip drives that can be used for a
daily back up. Are they reliable? I am also looking for a cheap
solution as money is low, but also do respect how important a reliable
back up is.

Many regards,
Luke