Old January 21st 08, 03:19 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
nik Simpson

Default Iomega vs LaCie NAS

wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB Network HardDrive

But I am worried with the transfer rate these solutions provide. I
intend to run them on a 100Base-T netowrk and expect a throughput of
some 10Mb/s (that's megabytes). Will these devices provide me with
that?

These things tend to be all drive and very little else, i.e. wimpy
processor, no memory (or very little) to cache etc, so they do all right
handling a single stream of data from one client, but degrade horribly
when you load up multiple clients all trying to I/O at the same time. My
bet is that you could probably get 10MB/s on a good with a following
wind handling a single client do large block I/O. On a small office
network with multiple clients reading and writing typical "office"
files, I'd be very surprised if either device got anywhere near 10MB/s
sustained.

--
Nik Simpson