Old July 13th 03, 02:19 AM
jaster

I don't know if you got my prior post but here's another link for OC that
PII-450 http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...dId=19&dPage=2

Definetely more memory to improve performance. Wouldn't recommend 500

over
450 because too little a gain.

I thought the PII-450 was the overclocker's dream cpu at the time. Try
www.overclockers.com and http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html for help and
results from overclocking with the multipliers. I saw one result with
900mhz with a different board http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/.

Otherwise I'd look for a Cel/P3/AMD - mb combo upgrade that fits your case
and psu to take your friend to the next upgrade. About power

requirements
PII/PIII use about 1.75v from the +12v which can run with a 230w AT psu

but
I'm not sure about the AMDs.

"Hans Huber" wrote in message

It always seems that secondhand P3s sell for far too much. You could
probably pick up a cheap mobo (get one that takes both SDRAM and DDR)
and a low end Athlon XP chip for under $100 new - and it will be over
three times the speed of a P3-500Mhz.

Eg: ECS K7S5A Pro + Athlon XP 1800+ can be had here for under ?100, and
all you other bits should work with this board.

Looks like this is the way to go. Too much trouble to upgrade this ****ty
mobo and CPU.
At least I learned a bit about Slot 1 Pentiums II and III !

Thanks for all your help!

Much appreciated!

Hans