Old December 16th 20, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Roger Blake[_2_]

Default What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On 2020-12-14, TJ wrote:
Don't feel bad, Roger. I just came across this newsgroup myself.

I've seen people respond to posts from decades ago, so I don't feel
too bad about it.

I use three printers, all HP. There's a Deskjet 5650, an Officejet 6100,
and a color Laserjet 1215.

The Laserjet is most certainly the newest, because it is USB 2.0. It was
a gift a couple of years ago, because it no longer met the needs of a
nephew's workplace.

USB didn't even exist when my old Panasonic dot-matrix printer was made!
These days I use it with a USB-to-Centronics converter cable.

I did manage a kind of fix for the deteriorated platen rubber. I cut out
the damaged section and glued in a plastic strip cut from a flexible
CD cover. It has just the right amount of stiffness with a little bit
of give for the print head to work. I'd still like to find a suitable
strip of hard rubber somewhere to replace the entire platen insert
since I'm sure it will deteriorate further.

I also have an Epson MX-80 with an RS232 serial interface, bought well
before the Panasonic. That was purchased to use with an "Interact"
8080-based home computer system, a failed microcomputer from the
first wave of home computers circa 1980. Although I still have them,
the Interact and the MX-80 have not been switched on in many years and
it's doubtful they would still work.

The US Census, what info must you give? -- http://censusfacts.info
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org