Old November 25th 18, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

Piper wrote:

Paul wrote:

Piper wrote:

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the barrel. It could
be center (+) like one of their other products, but you'd have to
check to be sure.

I see DC 9v on the box connection with a center 'barrel'.

Also confirmed by an online (webified) copy of the CS-104 manual at:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...en-Cs-104.html
(page 3)

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter

Expensive at $24.95; however, at least, it is above their $19 minimum
required to get free shipping.

Their pic does NOT show a female barrel connector on the end of that
power adapter's cord (to plug into the male jack in the KVM's case).
You MUST buy Radio Shack's Adaptaplug tips to convert the cord end to
the right size for the male (jack) on the KVM's case. Searching at
their site on "adaptaplug" (the product name they used) doesn't find any
there. I did a Google search and found this page:

https://www.radioshack.com/collections/adaptaplug-tips

Add another $2 to the Radio Shack solution. You can find 9V AC/DC
center-positive power adapters (with more than enough ampere output) for
a lot cheaper, like $5; however, you'll need one with the correct barrel
size (see wikipedia article below), and not just the outer diameter but
also the inner diameter. For example, you might need a 5.5mm coaxial DC
connector but the inside diameter (where the pin fits into) could be
2.1mm or 2.5mm. If the jack on the KVM is 2.1mm but you get a power
adapter with a 2.5mm center diameter then the connection will be loose
and you won't get a good connection.

It is marked +

The center connector should carry the voltage as a safety measure; else,
it would be far easier to short the outside barrel and cause damage.

The online manual doesn't specify the size of the barrel. There are
multiple diameters; see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxia...ctor#Standards

You could measure the male jack on the KVM's case, or get an adapter to
see which fits. There are universal adapter kits; for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-in1-Set-P...-/382370611465

For that kit, you'd get an AC/DC power adapter that has a 5.5mm/2.1mm
female coaxial DC connector on its cord end and then use one of the
connector adapter if the male jack on the KVM case was a different size.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-2...410068512.html

That one is used with a 5.5mm/2.5mm coaxial DC connector, so when you
get the converter kit, you have to make sure the input side matches what
is on the end of the power adapter's cord.