Old November 25th 18, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:00:30 -0500, Paul

I have an old ATEN CS-104 KVM switch that I want to try before I toss
it. But I need the power cord with its AC/DCconverter-I can't find
mine. Anyone know of where I might get/buy same? I don't see
anything on EBAY.

Just hopin'

Pete

Power Consumption DC 9V 250mA (Max)

The housing of the unit, might have "DC" next to the
barrel. It could be center (+) like one of their other
products, but you'd have to check to be sure.

The next issue, is whether the input is regulated 9V or
unregulated 9V. It's cheaper to make regulated 9V, but
I have run into a case where a device actually used
unregulated, and using the regulated one didn't provide
enough oomph (that was my label printer, which was
relying on the overvoltage coming from an unregulated
adapter). There is no industry standard I've seen, for
marking a barrel input with that detail.

If you have a RadioShack nearby (not sure they still exist
as bricks and mortar), a device like this can provide
impulse buy satisfaction. This is a switchable adapter
which offers 9V output as one of the options. This model
used to come with a set of six Adaptaplugs, but they don't
bundle those any more. If you bring your "device" to the
store with you, they can use the wall display of 15 adaptaplugs
on a wall display, and test until they find the right dimensions
of plug. And since the product "gives you one free" adaptaplug,
your freebie can be the one intended for your KVM. You have to
plug in the adapter to the end of the cable, the right
way round, to end up with +9V on the center conductor.
The labeling on these substitute adapters leaves a lot
to be desired. I always double check mine with a multimeter,
before actually connecting it to a load.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...wer-ac-adapter

I have looked at the adaptor on Ebay and WIKIP, and I don't see any
normal 2or3- prong connector to plug into a wall AC female.receptacle.
What am I missing?
Pete

The nature of this business is still "anti-consumer", but
at least you get some partial hint about requirements.
It would be scary if products had to be labeled
with "9V 0.25A regulated, center plus, barrel connector N",
as a means to preventing less electronics going into the
landfill. It's OK for the max current flow of the adapter
you select, to be rated at higher than 0.25A. The adapter
with the 2.5A rating would run your KVM just fine, and
have left over capacity that remains unused.

If you find the adapter listed on Ebay, then great. If not,
unless Aten runs their own "store" on the web, you'll be
doing some experiments to get it working, with no guarantee
of success. There's probably a polarity symbol on there, so
at least you won't apply reverse polarity and blow it up.
The details next to the barrel, are injection molded into
the plastic, and never use relief colors to make it easy
to read. In some cases, people don't even notice the label
is present until they use a strong light.

Paul