Old August 8th 15, 10:41 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Richard Kettlewell

Default USB 3.0 for a 2.5" drive?

"Charles T. Smith" writes:
Hi, a quick question for the experts.

I've gathered the impression that the interface technology (usb, sata,
pata) for disk drives is really irrelevant - for a single drive - because
disks can't deliver data fast enough to run into an interface bottleneck.

USB2 is slow enough that it’s a serious bottleneck.

Maybe that assumption's not correct... anyway, I see an ad for a Seagate
external 2.5" drive which uses "USB 3.0 Super-speed, up to 10x faster
than USB 2.0". While that's likely true about USB 3.0, isn't it
cynically, unethically misleading about the effect on the drive's
performance? Or, why would Seagate supply drives with USB 3.0 technology?

USB3-connected drives are *much* faster than USB2, based on the drives I
have.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/