Old May 20th 14, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Default 8 gig RAM on older hardware

Flasherly écrivait
:

On Tue, 20 May 2014 17:41:22 +0000 (UTC), Dominique
wrote:

Thanks all for your answer. I like this laptop, it has 2 hard drive bays,
integrated TI firewire and I use it in music production. Some music
software loads "samples" or softsynth sound banks in RAM; for example,
you could load a drum kit which is 2 gig in size plus a 1 gig piano, etc.
so in that usage more RAM is better.

Oh well, I guess I will live with 4 gig in this one. I will put another
system hard disk in it to experiment and try to install Win7-64bits, (all
my music software supports 64 bits). I might even try an SSD later. I
would have prefered to upgrade this one instead of buying a new one
because I doubt I can still find notebook with 2 drive bays and Firewire.

Dominique

Build...

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=284717

I've a computer on one side of the top shelf, mixer in the middle, amp
on the farside;- shelf below, another amp. Either side of the
shelves, four speakers.

Alesis and early vintage Polk SRS for studio monitors, Art and Carver
amps fed from laser optic SPDIF off a rackmount Behringer programmable
EQ/processor unit. Nothing short of sound and big sound.

Done some recording with it, mics, headphones....Athlon X2 4000
(discounting the HDs) that cost $200 to put together. (Though the
speakers alone might be comparable to $1000 or more to replace, as
well the amps and rest of the gear).

I already have a desktop for recording, the laptop is mainly for live
situations. It does most of the jobs I throw at it. I was wondering if I
could give it a little more power but I can live with it. I will try to go
64 bits though.

Thanks