Old May 20th 14, 06:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dominique

Default 8 gig RAM on older hardware

Dominique écrivait news:XnFA332BFAADC14Adoumdomainnet@
78.46.70.116:

Hello, is there someone who ever tried to put 8 gig of RAM in an Acer
TravelMate 7720 or similar "notebook"?

I'm actually running Win7 32bits with 4 gig of RAM, I'd like to go

64bits
and it would be great to go 8 gig.

All the documentation I've found (old) says 4 gig RAM maximum. It uses

DDR2
sodimm RAM (I know, it's expensive); but I am curious to know if

someone
actually tried it? I could go to a computer shop and try it but I doubt

would find someone who has 2 x 4gig DDR2 sodimm lying around.

It's a Core2Duo 2.00 ghz.

Here's the hardware report from Belarc:

ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Contrôleurs de stockage Ultra ATA Intel(R) ICH8M - 2850 [Controller]
Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
Seiko Epson 17,2 [Monitor] (17,2"vis)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Firewi Contrôleur Texas Instruments PCI-8x12/7x12/6x12 CardBus
ISO Mounter
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2830
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2831
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2832
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2834
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2835
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 2836
Contrôleur hôte universel Intel(R) gamme ICH8 USB - 283A
EDIROL FA-101 (Firewire)
Périphérique High Definition Audio (onboard)
UM-3G (USB)
Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver (WDM)

TIA
Dominique

Thanks all for your answer. I like this laptop, it has 2 hard drive bays,
integrated TI firewire and I use it in music production. Some music
software loads "samples" or softsynth sound banks in RAM; for example,
you could load a drum kit which is 2 gig in size plus a 1 gig piano, etc.
so in that usage more RAM is better.

Oh well, I guess I will live with 4 gig in this one. I will put another
system hard disk in it to experiment and try to install Win7-64bits, (all
my music software supports 64 bits). I might even try an SSD later. I
would have prefered to upgrade this one instead of buying a new one
because I doubt I can still find notebook with 2 drive bays and Firewire.

Dominique