Old March 24th 21, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Why is it not letting me extend the partition?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

So one of my oldest SSD's just finally had a bad misfire. One of its
memory cells seems to have gone bad, and it happened to be my boot
drive, so I had to restore to a new SSD from backups. That took a fair
bit of time to restore, but the new drive is twice as large as the old
one, but it created a partition that is the same size as the original. I
expected that, but I also expected that I should be able to extend the
partition after the restore to fill the new drive's size. However going
into disk management it doesn't allow me to fill up that entire drive.
Any idea what's going on here?

Yousuf Khan

There are a lot of partition manipulations that the Disk Manager in
Windows won't do. You need to use a 3rd party partition manager. There
are lots of free ones. I use Easeus Partition Master, but there are
lots of others.

You might want to investigate overprovisioning for SSDs. It prolongs
the lifespan of SSDs by giving them more room for remapping bad blocks.
SSDs are self-destructive: they have a maximum number of writes. They
will fail depending on the volume of writes you impinge on the SSD. The
SSD will likely come with a preset of 7% to 10% of its capacity to use
for overprovisioning. You can increase that. A tool might've come with
the drive, or be available from the SSD maker. However, a contiguous
span of unallocated space will increase the overprovisioning space, and
you can use a 3rd party partition manager for that, too. You could
expand the primary partition to occupy all of the unallocated space, or
you could enlarge it just shy of how much unallocated space you want to
leave to increase overprovisioning.