Old March 8th 21, 02:51 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Chris

Default How it is possible

On 07/03/2021 21:12, micky wrote:
How it is possible that one SSD is 17 times as fast as another but costs
less? Both are 240G. Why would anyone buy the slower one (like I did
last summer)?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5IB20Q...t_details&th=1
350 Mb per second $35

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-240...01N5IB20Q?th=1
6 Gb per second $30 plus $6 for a bracket if you need one.

I'm not sure how you're reading them differently, but the 6Gbps is the
*interface* speed for SATA3 and is not the *device* speed. In terms of
device performance the PNY and Kingston are both ~500 Mbps so I don't
see where you get the 350 Mbps from?

In the comparison list of the first one, 4 of them side by side, half
way to the bottom of the page, 2 others are the same speed as the first,
but the second one is 17 times as fast.

Again, you're being spectacularly vague. With sites like Amazon it is
almost impossible to know what someone sees as it dependent on their
history, country of origin, what device they're viewing it on, time of
day, etc. so I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

On the Kingston page I see the comparison of four different models: A400
SATA 3 2.5", A400 M.2 SATA 3, A2000 NVMe, HyperX Fury RGB SSD. In terms
of read/write speed they're all fairly similar (450-550 Mbps) except the
'A2000 NVme which is 'upto 2000 Mbps'. Which is unsurprising given that
it uses the NVMe interface which is spectacularly fast.

In choosing an SSD you need make sure you get one which matches both the
form factor (2.5" internal, 2.5" external, M.2) and interface (USB,
eSATA, SATA, M.2, NVMe) that you need. Only then do you look at price.